Wednesday, April 20, 2011

If You Say Portal Too Much It Starts to Sound Weird

There were two big releases this week, Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat. I went to the video store with the intention of renting one of them. I studied the cases and decided to rent Mortal Kombat. I started walking to the counter still pondering my decision. I got to the counter with MK still in hand before I had a sudden change of heart and decided to go with Portal 2 at the last possible second. I'm not going to say I made the correct or incorrect decision, but it was a decision and it means I'm talking about my experience with Portal 2 here instead of Mortal Kombat.

I'm guessing I'm about halfway through the game with about 5 hours under my belt. Not too shabby. It's amazing how Portal 2 manages to maintain the fun of the original without it getting boring over the extra length of time. Now, Portal is not a game I've ever been able to play for endless hours non-stop. I'm good for about an hour or two then I have to give it a break. There isn't a ton of variety in Portal and after playing for awhile it does start to bore me a bit. However, after a break I'm back in and raring to go. The mind-bending puzzles are fantastic, and the dialogue in the game is perhaps the best I've ever heard. It's genuinely hilarious and I only wish there was more of it. I could go for some berating as I'm failing my way around a room trying to figure out how to aim a laser or where to place the latest light bridge.

I'm not going to talk at all about the story here. Hell, I'm not finished with it myself, but I don't want to take a chance on spoiling anything for a reader who hasn't played. It's good...and that's all I got to say about that.

I did finally finish Call of Duty: Fight Club the other day and if you've finished it then you would understand why I've given it that title. The end was a twist of sorts, but it wasn't terribly well done or interesting. Overall I would give Black Ops a solid ok for the single player experience. The best part about finishing it though was I finally gave some of the other modes a shot. Dead Ops: Arcade might be the best thing on the disc. It plays a hell of a lot like Smash TV and it's awesome. If you've never played Smash TV in any of its incarnations it is basically a top down shooter. Not unlike something along the lines of Geometry wars. One stick controls movement and the other controls the direction you are shooting. It's fast paced and fun. Best part of the game.

I've not done any coop Zombies mode so I don't want to knock it too much. As a single player experience I was left a little underwhelmed. Zombies break through walls and doors, you shoot them for points that you use to buy new weapons and open up new areas, then between rounds you have a limited time to repair the places they broke through. By yourself it just isn't that much fun, but I can see the potential in a multiplayer experience. Therefore, I won't say anything particularly bad about it. I will just grade it as an incomplete for now and bring it back up in a later post.

I want to spend a little bit of time talking about my most anticipated game of the next coming months, L.A. Noire. If you aren't hyped about this game they you haven't read enough about it or just hate things that are awesome. Here is a few links to help remedy this.



Read about it, watch some trailers then tell me it doesn't look amazing. I will then tell you that you are a liar. The technology used for facial capturing is amazing and being able to "read" faces to be able to tell if people are lying sounds awesome in theory. I hope it works as well as they say it will. Focusing on detective work instead of action is going to be what can put this game over the top. Action games are a dime a dozen, well written thought provoking adventure games are rare and this looks to be more in that vain. If everything comes out the way Rockstar says it will I can't imagine that L.A. Noire isn't going to be a game of the year contender. Rockstar is no Peter Molyneux...they don't have a habit of over hyping their games then removing or nerfing half of the features when the game is released.

Color me excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment